Artists are invited to enter the 2018 THAMI MNYELE FINE ARTS AWARDS presented in association with the Lizamore and Associates Mentorship & Exhibition Programme.
In its 31st year, this competition comes with an exhibition of cutting edge contemporary South African fine art. The works of selected entrants into this competition will be on display from 30 September 2018 until 26 October 2018. Prize money to the value of R255 000 will be handed out at the prizegiving ceremony on 29 September 2018.
How to Apply
RULES OF ENTRY
1. Works of art may be entered from 21-23 August 2018 between 09:00 – 19:00 at the Coen Scholtz Recreation Centre, Mooifontein Road, Birchleigh North, Kempton Park.
SATELLITE ENTRY POINTS
Springs Art Gallery
Corner 5th & 6th Avenues, between the library and
the community hall, on 21-22 August 2018 between
09:00 – 19:00
Boksburg Library Auditorium
Trichardt Street, Boksburg Civic Centre on 21 August
2018 between 09:00 -16:00
Katlehong Arts Centre
203 Sontonga Street, Phooko Section, Katlehong, on
22 August 2018 between 09:00 – 16:00
Artworks entered at the Springs Art Gallery, Boksburg Library Auditorium & Katlehong Arts Centre can only be artworks on paper and canvas. All sculptures and installations must be entered at the Coen Scholtz Recreation Centre Entry forms will be provided at the venues on the above mentioned days. A non-refundable entry fee of R50.00 per artwork is payable upon entering the competition.
2. All artworks must be ready and suitable for exhibition and must have been completed in the 12 months prior to the competition.
3. Adjudication will take place on 28 to 29 August 2018. Only the adjudicators will be allowed during the adjudication process. The adjudicators determine the right to set the standards of the competition.
The adjudicators for 2018 are: Avitha Sooful, Muntu Vilakazi, Lekgetho Makola, Nonkululeko Khumalo and Sara Hallat.
4. All unselected works must be collected from 5-8 September 2018 between 08:00 and 16:00 at the Coen Scholtz Recreation Centre, Mooifontein Road, Birchleigh North, Kempton Park. Organisers will not be held responsible for unselected works of art not collected on the specified dates. Artists whose works are not selected for the exhibition will be notified telephonically.
5. The prize winners will be announced on 29 September 2018 at the opening of the exhibition at 18:00 at the Cohen Scholtz Recreation Centre. Prize winners will be notified telephonically that they must attend the opening function.
6. One hundred (100) artworks will be selected by the adjudicators for an exhibition. The artists of these artworks will be notified telephonically that they must attend the opening function.
7. The exhibition may be viewed by the public free of charge from 30 September – 13 October 2018 daily from 10:00 – 17:00
8. Artworks selected for the exhibition and artworks sold on the opening night may only be collected from 08:00 to 16:00 from 27 October 2018 to 02 November 2018 at the Coen Scholtz Recreation Centre. The organisers accept no responsibility for works of art not collected on these days.
9. The total prize money is R255 000 The following prizes will be awarded
First Prize R100 000
Ekurhuleni Prize R60 000
Four Merit Awards @ R20 000 each R80 000
Honorable Mention R15 000
* Lizamore & Associates Solo Exhibition & Mentorship Prize
10. Artworks entered for the competition must be for sale. The purchase price of each artwork must be indicated on the entry form.
11. Artworks not collected six months after the exhibition will become the property of the City of Ekurhuleni
12. Only artists who are permanent residents of South Africa with a valid South African ID may participate in the competition. Only four artworks per artist may be entered . There is no limit on size, but the dimensions of the facility must be taken into account.
13. The decision of the adjudicators is final and no correspondence or verbal enquiries may be addressed to the organisers in this regard.
14. The first prize winner will be required to serve on the adjudicators’ panel for the next fine arts awards.
15. The age restriction for entries is 18 years and older. Artworks of various mediums will be judged on their merit.